Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Unabashed love of a carnation.

Someday I will have a garden full of dahlias, mums, carnations, and more. My vases will overflow and you won't know if you are indoors or out. In the meantime I will fill my ever growing collection of vintage glass vases, Ikea ceramics and pickling jars with flowers from someone else's garden. This summer I've had a love affair with carnations. Two bundles ($2.99/bundle!) can fill enough vases for every room to have its share. They feel right in our new house, unpretentious, homey, timeless. I don't know why I ever disregarded them. They are wonderful and I plan to make up for the years I looked down upon them by filling every corner with blossoms. Carnations, I'm sorry, you are amazing.

1 comment:

kamarie said...

You'll have to plant some Bachelor Buttons and Love in the Mist... they are from the Carnation family and take readily in the Pacific Northwest. I think you'll adore the green and blue colors they naturally grow in.

I love the idea of your house filled with mums in the fall...